Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My blog entry won a writing contest!!!

The blog entry "Blasphemous Thinking," may have one first place or best in division in my school's creative arts contest. They emailed me saying that one of the pieces I turned in placed in their competition, though they wouldn't say what place or which piece. They did say, though, that IF I happened to have won first or best in division that I had to prepare a section of my writing to read aloud. So I emailed back asking, just in case I had won, how short it had to be and if I should bring my own copy. The lady emailed back saying that I should print out a section that encapsulates my writing onto a large notecard and then she quoted my "blasphemous thinking" essay!!! She said and I quote: "I feel the paragraph that begins with “I finally came to the conclusion that life is supposed to be enjoyed”….would be the best choice.

What do you think?"

I practically went dancing around the house. Actually, I did pretty much. I definitely pranced and squealed. Why else would she pick a quote for me to start from, unless I won first or best in division!! And it was my essay!!! It wasn't my poem (I entered Tragic Hero, figuring that it won that other contest, it would be helpful in this one too) which I was glad because although the story's touching and all, it's not exactly my favorite piece. I've never EVER been commended for an essay before, or really any of my writing. Not officially anyway. And it makes me realize that maybe I do have a chance at this writing gig after all. I'm soooo freaking excited for MARCH 22nd. It's the award ceremony. Wish me luck!

No comments: